[lbo-talk] girl power betrayed us

Tim tim_boetie at fastmail.fm
Sat Jul 22 16:29:02 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 16:39 -0400, info at pulpculture.org wrote:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=396834&in_page_id=1879

> It would be absurd, of course, to lay every teenage pregnancy, every
> inebriated ladette or every cheap tart sleeping with her sixth holiday
> 'romance' in a week at the feet of five barely competent girl singers.

I love that rhetorical trick - "it would be absurd, but I'm going to say it anyway."

It might be worth mentioning that the Daily Mail is an extremely conservative publication, probably the most right-wing of any British paper. Attacking the Spice Girls and "girl power" is just the latest in a string of "feminism is bad for women" articles they've been publishing for as long as I can remember.

--

"Boredom is the threshold to great deeds."

-- Walter Benjamin http://huh.34sp.com/ --------------------------- tim_boetie at fastmail.fm