[lbo-talk] Re: Girl Power Betrayed Us (yeah, right)

Anthony J. Kennerson anthonyk_6319 at charter.net
Sat Jul 22 15:08:18 PDT 2006

[Bitch | Lab wrote]

Hope Catherine's reading:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article html?in_article_id=396834&in_page_id=1879

It would be absurd, of course, to lay every teenage pregnancy, every

inebriated ladette or every cheap tart sleeping with her sixth holiday

'romance' in a week at the feet of five barely competent girl singers.

It would be fair, however, to recognise that they presided over a period

that saw young womanhood spiral into a previously unimaginable decline;

that they wrote its soundtrack, they sang its theme, they invited a

generation to play along - and that altogether too many women sadly did.

[....]

[/B|L]

Oh, pulllleeeeeeeeze.....like the Spice Girls is really the UK's equivalent to the FCP's?!?!

Sounds to me that Ms. Catherine's a bit jealous of their hit and run success .or the fact that Victoria Adams (the former Sporty Spice) now gets half of soccer icon David Bechkam's estate...and last time I checked, Gerri Halliwell wasn't doing that badly either. ( I don't know about the rest of the ladies, I admit.)

That group was nothing more than the usual pop culture fad that comes and goes every year: promote some vapid female group with some moderate "sex appeal" and fair-to-middlin' talent, jazz them up with some risque lyrics and slut wannabe gear and "do me" smack (but, please, please, for Goddess' sake, PLEASE don't ever let them be REAL sluts who actually LIKE sex, because that would scare off the Puritans and thus cut off the gravy train), and then sit back and watch the hormones and the bank account grow. Then, after a year passes, cut them off for another group of fresh young ingenues.

Rinse, lather, repeat, ad nauseum.

Blaming the Spice Girls for the downfall of feminsm is a bit like blaming the Pussycat Dolls (the latest model for young female pop "slutdom", as the success of their hit "Dontcha" tells) for the gender wage gap....besides, the latter girls look thousand times hotter, anyway. ;-)

Anthony

(Dontcha wish your pomo theory was hawt like mine...lol)