[lbo-talk] Re: Girl Power Betrayed Us (yeah, right)

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sat Jul 22 17:36:28 PDT 2006

heh. Anthony, the reference to Catherine was to a list member, Catherine Driscoll, who is a prof in Australia who was interested in Girl Power and defended the Spice Girls against various attacks back in the 90s. She did so from a, uh, 'pomo' perspective. Driscoll's focus of research is on young women, and I'd bet what she has to say in her book, Girls: Feminine Adolescence in Popular Culture and Cultural Theory, would make the author of this article, Carol Sarler, enraged. http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023111/0231119127.HTM

Basically, Sarler is calling out Catherine and any other feminists because their support for the Spice Girls (or what Sarler reads as their support) is the 'cause' of what we see today.

This is not unlike what Katha Pollitt has been doing lately when she's called young women featherheads and has been insulted that 'young women' criticize her. Her response is to claim that the crits are about their "girls just wanna have fun" feminism. Although, obviously, Katha wouldn't blame feminist's failures on the spice girls, etc.

Was hoping Cat had time to reply because I would think she should have some fascinating insights into the last sex panic.

What always kills me about how easily feminists in bloglandia get riled up by these articles is that they forget that so much of this 'news' is manufactured.

Anyhoo, as you probably know, this was what was posted at iblamethepatriarchy.com today. Surprise!

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org