[lbo-talk] Dershowitz: when it's ok to kill civilians

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jul 23 14:19:36 PDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:45:26 -0700 Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> writes:
> Could Dershowitz go into the business of giving a seal of approval
> for
> murder or torture -- like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval?

Alan Dershowitz is the sort of guy that gives scumbags a bad name.

The thing about his proposal for introducing the concept of what he calls "the continuum of civilianality," is that this indeed "cuts both ways," and as such, it can also provide a rationale for acts that are often labeled terrorism such as suicide bombings against Israeli buses. Since in Israel, public transportation is commonly used by IDF reservists for getting to their posts, then that means that following Dershowitz's criteria, civilian buses might constitute legitimate military targets, so that attacks on them, including even suicide bombings cannot properly be castigated as terrorism.