[lbo-talk] We're all Hezbollah...

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Mon Jul 24 07:53:36 PDT 2006

I know this is my fourth (and last) for today...and I know that that knowing and saying doesn't absolve me of overposting...

www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:
> My eyes are on Gaza too, thanks.

I am sure your eyes are, and I am sorry for saying "every eye", but there has been a significant shifting of focus.

> but then the
> soldiers were inside Lebanese territory, where IDF soldiers frequently
> strayed. I don't see what this has to do with whether to support
> Hezbollah now.

The soldiers were not on Lebanese territory, they were in Israeli territory between Zarit and Shetula. (If you have any contrary evidence, I would be happy to see it, but this is what I hear, and have just reverified, from people who have looked into it and would be happy to show, if it were the case, that Israeli forces were over the border). It was a cross border incursion. Then in the coming hour, after the Israeli military finally figured out what occurred, forces were sent in pursuit north of the border, leading to a majority of the eight Israeli deaths during the first day, about 70 meters north of the border fence.

> If we're talking propriety, as opposed to wisdom, then Hezbollah's
> actions were entirely within proper norms of international law.

As Ran Ha'Cohen stated, in a very harsh critique of Israel's actions: "Guerilla attacks on soldiers are never "terror," but capturing soldiers - or kidnapping civilians - and holding them as bargaining chips is banned by international law." The fact that Israel has done this as a regular policy makes it no less a breach of international law.

>> Repelling they did up to the year 2000, and very well, enticing is what
>> they did 13 days ago.
>
> Yeah, Israel needed 'enticement'.

Israel has been waiting with anticipation for such an act, to implement a campaign they have long waited for the opportunity. Gerald Steinberg, professor of political science at Bar-Ilan University stated in the {{San Francisco Chronicle}}: “Of all of Israel's wars since 1948, this was the one for which Israel was most prepared. […] In a sense, the preparation began in May 2000, immediately after the Israeli withdrawal […]. By 2004, the military campaign scheduled to last about three weeks that we’re seeing now had already been blocked out and, in the last year or two, it’s been simulated and rehearsed across the board” (Matthew Kalman, 21 July 2006).

But, yes they needed enticement (a sufficient excuse, at least in their mind sufficient).

> Hezbollah are Lebanese. Curious of you not to notice this.

No question that Hizbollah is home grown Lebanese, and has overwhelming backing from the %40 Shi'a minority, substantial backing among the Sunni population and less popularity among the Christian lebanese population. But I don't think that gives sufficient cause for the metonymy.