[lbo-talk] We're all Hezbollah...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 24 10:43:37 PDT 2006

On Jul 24, 2006, at 12:46 PM, www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> I've never understood why there haven't been suicide bombings in
>> the U.S. - esp in NYC, where there's no shortage of Jewish-
>> themed targets, from Temple Emanu-el to the Israeli-owned French
>> bistro across the street - that could easily stand in as symbols
>> of Israel.
>
> Suicide attacks have taken place in America,

Hmm, I can think of one on a late summer day in 2001, but otherwise?

> and in Europe and elsewhere. I daresay few if any at all targeted
> "Jewish-themed" buildings etc. This is because the antisemitism of
> what Roy calls "combat fundamentalism" is less important than the
> superordinate hostility to US power. I don't understand why you
> think Jewish-themed districts are more likely to get it, and I
> still don't get what makes you think Hezbollah are on their way to
> your district. That's exactly the kind of thinking that gets Bush
> elected, you know.

I don't think that suicide bombers are on their way here. I don't think it's outlandish to suspect that people pissed off about U.S. support of Israel might attack targets within the U.S. In my case, this doesn't counsel a vote for Bush - it suggests giving up on support for Israel.

Doug