[lbo-talk] We're all Hezbollah...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 25 08:11:53 PDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:32 AM, www.leninology. blogspot.com wrote:

> I don't much care that you think it's two-dimensional or shoddy.
> Glib, smug assertions have never particularly bowled me over. It
> is the role of the left to support the oppressed, not without
> criticism, distinction or discrimination, but without this
> Beautiful Soul narcissism in which one expects oppressed groups to
> live up to one's ego-ideal of liberalism.

I have no problem with Hezbollah shooting at the Israeli military in Lebanon. I do have a problem with their lobbing rockets at civilian targets in northern Israel, and their ideology. Israel is doubtless the major wrongdoer in the region, but I just can't bring myself to identify with Hezbollah.

While we're on the topic of narcissism and ego-ideals, I think your outrage the liberals/tough guy Leninist schtick is your own way of flattering yourself. You're not alone in that; we all flatter ourselves in one way or another. But don't pretend you don't get a charge out of annoying "liberals" - or even using "liberal" as a term of abuse against people who just aren't as "Marxist" as you.

Doug