[lbo-talk] Identification? was ....Hezbollah...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 25 10:04:24 PDT 2006

"www.leninology. blogspot.com" wrote:

> It's up to you who you identify with, as I say. I'm only responding to the
> questions and claims made of my particular action in that particular demo.

I have never understood what people are talking about when they say they do or don't _identify_ with this that or the other thing. When I read the _Cantos_ or _Paradise Regained_ I identify with myself reading the _Cantos_ or _Paradise Regained_. When I support people or organizations resisting u.s. imperialism, I identify with myself supporting resistance to imperialism.

I tend to take the polar opposite of the Mearsheimer-Walt thesis and hold Israel to be, at the day's end, a pawn of u.s. imperialist policy. And this _is_ a case where the enemy of my enemy is my friend. What the world needs, above all, is a United Front of all who can be united in opposition to U.S. imperialism, and whatever "identification" may mean, it is as irrelevant here as a preference for Oreos over vanilla wafers.

Carrol