[lbo-talk] the enemy of my enemy is my friend (was something else

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 26 07:50:44 PDT 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 5:21 AM, Tahir Wood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>> the enemy of my enemy is my friend. What the world
>> needs, above all, is a United Front of all who can be
>> united in opposition to U.S. imperialism.
>
> In this cretinous statement lies the whole of Maoism. What is so
> grotesque is that this type of thinking should ever have become
> identified with communism. Here we have the thinking of "the principle
> contradiction" in all its stifling, stinking glory. All that is
> missing
> is the glorious helmsman to tell us that today we must unite
> against US
> imperialism because that is the principle contradiction and then
> tomorrow he changes his mind and tells as that we must all unite (with
> the US) against Soviet imperialism because that is the principle
> contradiction. Fuck you and yours for everything that you've ever done
> to the communist movement.

Though I agree with a lot of what you say, could you make your points without the "fuck you" part?

Why is so much left discourse so nasty? The right aims its nastiness mainly at its enemies; we aim a lot of it at each other. While this is not an original point, I've never heard a good explanation.

Doug