[lbo-talk] NYT: Borrowing Language of Civil Rights Movement, Drive Is On To Unionize Guards

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 27 15:39:15 PDT 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:56 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> Any professors want to share wisdom on how this fits the evil seiu
> scheme to keep people from getting health care by gaming the
> welfare system?

Hmm, don't recall any professors, aside from maybe Adolph Reed, making that point. I guess it's just a bit of authentic proletarian disdain for intellekshuels then. SEIU's health care strategy sucks. It deliberately avoids - and Stern isn't above a little xenophobia here about "Canadian imports" - the only sensible solution, a universal single-payer system (which polls very well), in favor of some mysterious, complex scheme, probably some bastard offspring of the fraudulent Massachusetts plan (which you couldn't poll about because it's impossible to explain in less than 20,000 words). It's bad policy and bad politics, and you don't have to be some kind of pointy-head to think so.

Doug