[lbo-talk] NYT: Borrowing Language of Civil Rights Movement, Drive Is On To Unionize Guards

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:07:22 PDT 2006

On 7/26/06, Jim Straub <rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Big gains coming in in our building services division. Does seem to
> vindicate the theory that if you browbeat the employers into keeping their
> mouth shut, low-wage workers join unions in droves to get more money and
> health care. Any professors want to share wisdom on how this fits the evil
> seiu scheme to keep people from getting health care by gaming the welfare
> system?
> Jim

I'm with you Jim for the most part.

But for me all of this is more a practical matter. Any kind of worker's organization, as long as it is organized for and by the workers, is better than no organization at all. This is even true if the union is organized by people who "game" a system, or are currupt in one way or another. So even if all of the accusations against some union or other were true, if it were the only union for a group of workers to join, my belief is that they would be better off inside a union than outside.

On the other hand there is no union in the U.S. that doesn't deserve some radicalization of some kind.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060727/29105299/attachment.htm>