[lbo-talk] Hezbollah Attacks on UN

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Jul 27 20:01:59 PDT 2006

At 7:05 PM -0700 27/7/06, Angelus Novus wrote:

>--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you implying that anti-semitism is at work here?
>
>Not really implying, more thinking aloud as to whether
>anti-semitism is at work here.

You see anti-semitism everywhere, don't you?

>I think one element of anti-semitism camouflaged as
>anti-Zionism is the perception of Isreal as an
>unhealthy, aberrant exception to an otherwise normal
>and functioning community of states. International
>law is universally observed everywhere, but Israel is
>the wild one.
>
>This kind of thinking discourages us from thinking
>about capital, about the commodity form, about the
>state form, about the institutional violence of the
>state. Instead, states are normal, natural, eternal
>aspects of human society, and Israel and the U.S. are
>just bad states.

The state *is* a normal and necessary institution, in the context of class society. To suggest otherwise is to indulge in fantasy. Law and order is necessary if class society is not to degenerate into a bloodbath.

Of course breaches of international law are not uncommon. as are breaches of domestic law not uncommon. That is not to say that the state is eternal, merely to acknowledge that they exist in the here and now and that it is better to have order than disorder in human affairs. To say that the US is a criminal state is simply to state the obvious, there are international laws and the US blatantly flouts them. To demand that the US and its client state Israel comply with international law, is merely to try to minimise the suffering that goes with class society, not to insist that class society itself is natural and eternal.

But you can't abolish the state without abolishing class, you seem to be suggesting otherwise. That makes you a dangerous fanatic.

>I think rouge states talk is stupid, regardless of the
>target. It's sad and pathetic when the left just
>tries to turn it around and use it against different
>targets.

I thought you said it was anti-semitic?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas