[lbo-talk] Hezbollah Attacks on UN

Eric Beck rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Jul 28 13:25:28 PDT 2006

Angelus Novus wrote:

>This kind of thinking discourages us from thinking
>about capital, about the commodity form, about the
>state form, about the institutional violence of the
>state. Instead, states are normal, natural, eternal
>aspects of human society, and Israel and the U.S. are
>just bad states.

This sounds like a bad caricature. But I also remember that soi-disant antimoralist Carrol Cox has avered just this thought on this list before, that somehow Israel and the U.S. are more reprehensible than other states. How he does this without resorting to moralism is something that will certainly be revealed to me when he and his cadres take charge.

That said, your anti-anti-Semitism seems to me a bit quick on the draw at times. You seem to want to read slights of Israel as straight-up anti-Semitism. But surely you can recognize some mediating forces here. I mean, the "Semitic" racial-religious group is not identical with the state of Israel, is it? Is it possible for people who aren't antistatists to criticize Israel at all?