[lbo-talk] Hezbollah Attacks on UN

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 13:23:22 PDT 2006

--- Eric Beck <rayrena at realtime.net> wrote:

> That said, your anti-anti-Semitism seems to me a bit
> quick on the
> draw at times. You seem to want to read slights of
> Israel as
> straight-up anti-Semitism.

I don't mean to create that impression. Just that I think anti-semitism does masquerade as anti-zionism. Just because neo-conservatives also say so in bad faith does not mean that its false.

Also, I think if one is not a principled anti-statist, than "anti-zionism" is also a problematic ideology. Why is a Jewish national project any worse than any other national project? (I am asking in general, I don't mean to imply that you think so)

> Is
> it possible for
> people who aren't antistatists to criticize Israel
> at all?

Yes, provided one is fair, and does not question the state of Israel's right to exist. I don't know very much about the Isreali peace group Gush Shalom, but what they seem to advocate is very reasonable, an Israeli withdrawal to the 1967 borders, Jerusalem as a dual capital, and some sort of symbolic recognition of the Palestinian refugees.