[lbo-talk] The Bird-Watching Businessman

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 1 07:21:19 PDT 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 1:46 AM, Steven L. Robinson wrote:

> Yes, Treasury Secretary designee Henry Paulson, Jr. is a
> supporter of the
> Nature Conservancy. That, predictably, draws the ire of the
> Republican right
> wing and produces human interest headlines such as this piece by
> the Los
> Angeles Times. Less noticed is the fact that he comes from Goldman-
> Sachs
> and even less noticed is the fact that he comes from the same firm
> that
> produced Clinton Treasury Secretary and prominent New Dem Robert
> Rubin. It
> is hard to imagine that Paulson is going to pursue economic
> policies much at
> odds with his former colleague- and boss- Rubin.

Eh? Everything I've read about him notes prominently that he's with Goldman Sachs (no hyphen, by the way). That was presumably the reason Bush chose him - to win some credibility with The Establishment after two TreasSecs who were dim industrialists. His conservationist tendencies have been noted as a quirk, not as his essence. And he's not likely to pursue the same policies as Rubin - he's to the right of old Bob on fiscal and social issues. All GS people aren't the same - look at Corzine, who's one of the most liberal figures in American political life.

Doug