[lbo-talk] Germans should stop feeling Holocaust guilt: Ahmadinejad

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 09:24:48 PDT 2006

On 6/1/06, uvj at vsnl.com <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:
> Reuters.com
>
> Germans should stop feeling Holocaust guilt: Ahmadinejad
> http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-05-28T152033Z_01_L28632352_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAN-AHMADINEJAD-HOLOCAUST.xml&archived=False
>
> Sun May 28, 2006
>
> By Erik Kirschbaum
<snip>
> Ahmadinejad's latest comments were condemned by the Simon Wiesenthal Center
> in Los Angeles. Rabbi Marvin Hier, a founder and dean, called on Merkel to
> keep him out of Germany.
>
> "On a day when the Pope is in Auschwitz to remind the world of the horrors
> of the Holocaust, Ahmadinejad questions it again," Hier said. "For him to be
> at the World Cup and sit in a VIP seat would be a desecration of the memory
> of the Holocaust."

Why be soft on the Pope?

Ratzinger has defended himself from criticism of his war record by claiming - not strictly truthfully - that he could not have avoided military service in the circumstances. Others did and maybe he could have used his training in a seminary to dodge the call-up. (Stephen Bates and John Hooper, "From Hitler Youth to the Vatican," The Guardian, April 20, 2005, <http://www.guardian.co.uk/pope/story/0,12272,1463902,00.html>)</blockquote>

On 6/1/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually I think he's right (if not for the right
> reasons). The German Cult of Mitschuldigkeit is
> largely self-flaggelating ritual masochism. Given that
> most Germans weren't even alive at the time makes it
> even more lame. It's fake guiltCrippling for the
> national psyche actually.

This is a case of arriving at the correct conclusion despite the wrong premise, but as long as Ahmadinejad holds onto that premise, he ends up helping those who market stories like the fraudulent one of the religious minority dress code in Iran.

> On Jun 1, 2006, at 11:37 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
>
> > Actually I think he's right (if not for the right
> > reasons). The German Cult of Mitschuldigkeit is
> > largely self-flaggelating ritual masochism.
>
> It'd be nice if the U.S. went through a few guilt rituals for slavery
> and Indian genocide. What you call guilt-tripping has kept Germany on
> pretty good behavior for the last 60 years.

Not any longer. Hating Serbs -- who btw were on the right side of history during WW2 -- definitively removed any lingering guilt-inspired pacifism: