[lbo-talk] Germans should stop feeling Holocaust guilt: Ahmadinejad

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 1 09:49:37 PDT 2006

Chris Doss writes:

> Actually I think he's right (if not for the right
> reasons). The German Cult of Mitschuldigkeit is
> largely self-flaggelating ritual masochism. Given that
> most Germans weren't even alive at the time makes it
> even more lame. It's fake guiltCrippling for the
> national psyche actually.

[...]

========================= Actually, Ahmadinejad is only partially right. He's right about the dispossession and continuing oppression of the Palestinians by the Israelis, and about the cynical exploitation of the Holocaust by the Zionists which perpetuates that oppression (while simultaneously cheapening the Holocaust and promoting a backlash against it). But I don't think it would be a good idea for the left to join him in campaiging for a) an international panel to weigh whether the Holocaust is a myth, or b) for the Hebrew-speaking population in Israel to be "repatriated" back to Europe. As for the Germans, I'm not a believer in "national psyches" and expect there are some among them who engage in "self-flagglation ritual masochism" about the Holocaust, some whose views would be closer to Ahmadinejad's, and probably many more who understand it in context as do most of the rest of us. If poor Ahmadinejad didn't seem so sincerely simple-minded about this issue, I'd swear he was being somehow manipulated by the CIA and the Mossad into making these statements.