[lbo-talk] Germans should stop feeling Holocaust guilt: Ahmadinejad

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 1 12:47:17 PDT 2006

A little collective guilt might allow the US to both consider honoring its existing treaties with NA's and even allow a serious national debate on reparations. What else would help promote such agendas? Collective goodwill? Collective guilt would be the quicker route in my opinion. It isn't as if every landowner today hasn't directly benefited.

John Thornton

> --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>

> It'd be nice if the U.S. went through a few guilt
> rituals for slavery
> and Indian genocide. What you call guilt-tripping
> has kept Germany on
> pretty good behavior for the last 60 years.

It's also kept Germany almost completely subservient

to US foreign policy until very recently and

reflexively pro-Israel.

Why should, say, Doug Henwood feel guilty about stuff

that happened in the US in 1850? The German case goes

way beyond "Germans did some really evil stuff at one

point in history and it must never happen again." It's

a collective national myth based on being evil. Kind

of sick and self-indulgent. (But then perhaps I have

personal reasons to feel this way, what with being

German and all.)

Hannah Arendt demolished the whole Mitschuldigkeit

Cult back in the 1960s. I thought you were against

notions of collective guilt anyway?

Chris Doss