[lbo-talk] Germans should stop feeling Holocaust guilt:

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 2 10:47:06 PDT 2006

> Charles Brown:
>
> As to Americans having collective responsibility for slavery and the
> genocidal usurpation of the U.S. national territory, any American who feels
> proud of the flag and the national anthem, had patriotic passions and main

[WS:] You need keep in mind that a lot of Americans also fought to abolish

slavery and many died in the process, over 360 thousand to be exact.

Another 250 thousand or so died to defend it, however. So where does that

leave us in the moral calculus of "collective guilt?"

Wojtek

Most Union soldiers fought to preserve the union and a great number of them had no problem with slavery. It is not knowable what percentage of Union soldiers did not mind slavery but it seems over 2/3 of the letters from soldiers I read expressed that sentiment. Lets keep that in mind as well. Very few felt they were fighting and dying to abolish slavery.

That still leaves the fact that every land owner in the US is directly benefiting from the NA genocide whether they feel they are benefiting from it or not. That is the guilt of someone who knowingly receives stolen property, not guilt by association.

John Thornton