[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Jun 3 07:20:29 PDT 2006

Angelus Novus writes:

> Germany has a concept of citizenship which is still
> largely defined by blood and ethnicity, despite some
> minor improvements under the former Red-Green
> government. An ethnic German who was born in Russia
> and speaks no other language than Russian still has a
> greater claim to German citizenship than most people
> of Turkish descent who have spent most of their lives
> in Berlin-Kreuzberg and for whom German is their first
> language.

[...]

> One does not have to pine for a second Shoah in order
> to be considered an anti-semite. Actions such as
> CUPE's, where Israel is held to a different standard
> than other nation states, are sufficient to merit the
> label.
=================================== This is such a tired discussion, but so long as this canard keeps surfacing, it needs to be clubbed back into its hole. Maybe some of the distressingly large number of people like yourself who have accepted this Zionist McCarthyism as good coin can be persuaded otherwise.

So here goes again: I'm opposed to the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories, but I am emphatically not anti-semitic. I'm opposed to any form of discrimination against Jews anywhere, however they define themselves in terms of their religion or their culture or their ancestry. There's no evidence the overwhelming number of other opponents of Israeli policy don't view things the same way.

As in the case of Israel's Law of Return, I object to Germany's immigration policy as you describe it.

If Germany were occupying Turkish territories, carving them into segregated and impoverished cantons, restricting freedom of movement and humiliating Turks at checkpoints, jailing and assassinating those who were resisting the occupation, demolishing homes and maiming and killing civilians in the process, I would support campaigns calling for boycotts and other forms of pressure until Germany withdrew.

I'm opposed to all forms of discrimination against German-speakers anywhere.