[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 17:16:06 PDT 2006

--- Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> This is such a tired discussion, but so long as this
> canard keeps surfacing,
> it needs to be clubbed back into its hole. Maybe
> some of the distressingly
> large number of people like yourself who have
> accepted this Zionist
> McCarthyism as good coin can be persuaded otherwise.

I understand that in the United States, right-wing elements do throw around the accusation of "anti-semitism" as a means of silencing all criticism of Israel.

But that was not the intent behind my post. As I stated before, criticism of Israel is anti-semitic when Israel is singled out for special treatment for simply acting as any nation-state would in a similar situation.

And I also said that this anti-semitism is not necessarily eliminatory anti-semitism. Not all anti-semites would deny the Holocaust or condone it. Probably the majority wouldn't.

Until CUPE as a trade union takes a position for open Canadian borders, their condemnation of Israel's "apartheid" is social chauvinism and reactionary populism, pure and simple.