[lbo-talk] Language of Contempt

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 09:05:51 PDT 2006

The worst term of contempt for a man is "queer" or "homo" -- in the straight community. This is the analog of "slut". In this culture, a man can never be demeaned relative to a woman, therefore his relations with women can never result in a demeaning term. Likewise, a woman can always be demaned in her relations to men, therefore "slut." Women are non subjects therefore their relations to one another are meaningless, therefore "dyke" may be descriptive, but it is not analogous to "faggot."

Even in my son's generation, one of the main sayings is "bro's before ho's."

Joanna