[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 21:26:05 PDT 2006

--- Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at dodo.com.au> wrote:

> Apartheid was
> a policy of rigid segregation

Against non-whites in South Africa. Palestinians in the Occupied Territories are not Israelis. Use of the word "Apartheid" implies that they are.

> practiced in Israel proper. The systematic
> segregation of and
> discrimination against non-jewish citizens of Israel
> are reminiscent
> of the South African Regime.

Now we're getting somewhere. I heard a rumour once that Israeli Arabs cannot attend University, but then I looked it up and it turns out not to be the case (at least according to the source I consulted). But maybe it is. In which case, I have no idea which sources to believe and which not.

So I am curious to know the examples of discrimination against non-jewish citizens of Israel. Somebody posted something the other day about prohibiting marriages with Palestinians in order to prevent them from getting citizenship. That's pretty shitty, but it's not radically different than what goes on within most countries in Fortress Europe. A naturalized German citizen recently had their citizenship taken away for lying on their immigration form. A born German would never have that happen to them. Is Germany an Apartheid state? If you say yes, then you can legitimately claim consistency. If not, that's anti-semitism.

> You give no reason, is that because you have no
> reason?

Easy. Israel = self-proclaimed ethnic Jewish state. Israel = engages in shitty behavior common to all capitalist nation-states. If you condemn this behavior when it is committed by Israel, but not by other states, you are an anti-semite.

> >Israeli plan to physically exterminate the
> >Palestinians?
>
> Yes. Are you saying there isn't?

Well, I guess since you are alleging there is, the burdon of proof is on you. So please provide references to the Israeli equivalent of the Wannsee conference.