[lbo-talk] sluts and whores

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 08:56:32 PDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Gar Lipow <the.typo.boy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/3/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think it's possible to neuter the terms sluts and whores in rich
> > nations sometime soon, as the value of female virginity goes down. By
> > now, it's already the case that a majority of men prefer sexually
> > experienced women to virginal ones in all contexts, from marriage to
> > one-night stands. Since the demand for female virginity has gotten so
> > low, it's lost its erstwhile premium.
> >
> > It's probably not possible, however, to desexualize these two terms
> > altogether. The fundamental problem, as far as these two terms are
> > concerned, is less sexism than negative attitudes toward sex for sex's
> > sake and sex for money's sake, the attitudes shared by some feminists
> > as well as sexists.
>
> I think thought that double standard is still strong. I also think
> things such as use of the terrm "himbo" and applying the term "slut"
> to men may represent a very *slight* weakening of it.

Google the Net for a "slut" or "whore," and see what you'll get: <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=slut&btnG=Search>; and <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=whore&btnG=Search>.

Aside from dictionaries and wiki entries, erstwhile sexist usages of the terms are hard to find among the top results.

>"Acceptable amount" and "wrong kind" have no
> consistent defintion; but the people who condemn it know it
> when they see it.

Once everyone accepts that most women fuck more men (and women) than their husbands, it's all relative, and, as all moralists know, relativism is the beginning of the end, an unstoppably slippery slope lubricated by KY jelly and who knows what else. :->

You look to your left, and you look to your right, and what do you see? Secular sluts, one and all.

On 6/4/06, joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't think it's the quality of the sex that makes virgins
> so prized. I think it's the ego trip.

Ego trips are hardly alien to the stronger sex. Being constantly surrounded by secular sluts of both genders, of all sexual orientations, from myriad countries of origin cannot but induce a profound sense of sexual ennui in a thinking woman. Where are differences and difficulties, those tried and true stimulants of sexual interest?