[lbo-talk] sluts and whores

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Mon Jun 5 09:20:27 PDT 2006

try technorati instead to see usage on an hour to hour basis:

http://technorati.com/search/slut?language=en&authority=a7

http://technorati.com/search/whore?language=en&authority=a7

I think Gar's right. slut no longer has to do with virginity, but with 1. comparatively how much you're having 2. if it's in the context of a ocmmitted relationship 3. what kind it is

one interesting thing seems to be, at least among feminist blogoliciousville, there are a lot of people who just don't believe that women who have casual sex want to have it. the general sentiment seems to be that, if anyone is represented that way in the media (e.g., the high school cuddle puddles) they can't possibly be doing it because they want to (really are bisexual, for instance) and must be doin git for attention, because their fathers are absent, just going along with peer pressure, etc.

Also, just going by two popular books written from ostensibly feminist women, both Ariel Levy and Maureen Dowd spend their entire books calling women names: bimbo, slutty, whorish, etc.

Levy devotes an entire chapter to what she and the older lesbians in her book lament as the 'slutty' sexual mores of young lesbians who have one night stands, go-go dance, and aren't interested in hitching up the uhaul after the second date.

I couldn't figure that one out.Somehow, the problem with these women is that "they act like men" and have casual sex.

What is the harm among lesbians? who's to judge? Who cares? (same question for hets, but at least there people bring up structural issues: reputation, pregnancy?)

In other words, why are some lesbians like Ariel Levy and the older women she interviews wanting to regulate lesbian sexuality? what purposes is it serving.

This isn't a new debate and it emerged in the late 70s with the sex wars. It continues today as there was recently a big blow out over the Michigan Women's Music Festival, with radical feminist leaders arguing against the festival turning into a big Girls Gone Wild sex romp because, increasingly, BDSM folks and transfolks were showing up, contaminating the place with their sexual values (or lack thereof).

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org