[lbo-talk] Liberalism and preemptive evil

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 5 09:01:31 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Jun 5, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>[A couple of items here about Peter Beinart, champion of a resurgent
>>liberalism that recognizes the evil of the new totalitarianism emanating
>>from radical Islam, which requires liberals to take all actions necessary
>>to combat this evil "even when their moral purity is compromised in the
>>effort." Beinart is an excellent example of what irredeemable assholes
>>liberals are, and he is a timely reminder that liberalism remains perhaps
>>the greatest lasting threat to peace and democratic values the world has
>>known.]
>
>I'm confused. If Beinart says that liberals have lost the world because of
>their intense squishiness, how is liberalism the prime threat? Isn't
>Beinartism a greater threat?

Beinart himself is a liberal -- a proud avatar of what the Sun article I clipped identifies as "the much besmirched Cold War liberalism of President Truman, George Kennan, Hubert Humphrey, and others." What Beinart inveighs against is the liberalism that, according to the Sun, is "what Arthur Schlesinger Jr. once called 'doughface liberalism' ... liberals [who] oppose terror and totalitarianism but recoil against taking any necessary steps to defeat it, fearful that their moral purity might be stained in the process."

It would be accurate to view these as two different isotopes of liberalism. The Cold War variety is by far the more stable isotope. Doughfaced liberals are highly unstable (witness the Iraq war) and constantly at risk of casting off their scruples and decaying into Cold War liberals red in tooth and claw.

Carl