[lbo-talk] self-injury epidemic

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 5 15:46:08 PDT 2006

I remember learning about this in health class in 5th, 6th, and 7th grade. IIRC it was taught as being mostly a female issue along with aneroxia however. Something to be alert for for girls but not guys. Cutting, burning, and hair pulling were what we were supposed to be alert for. That was in the 70's so I don't know why this writer thinks "People who are over the age of 35 sometimes can't wrap their minds around this phenomenon."

I guess where Whitlock grew up it wasn't discussed but it was in NY, MO, and OK. There was also a lot of self-mutilation in the punk movement that would seem to me to be driven by similar motivations. It doesn't strike me as something new in any way but perhaps the numbers are greater. Maybe people were more interested in believing they were accidents when I was younger?

John Thornton

On 5 Jun 2006 at 9:25, Doug Henwood forwarded: