Not so Obvious, was Re: [lbo-talk] Language of Contempt

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 21:29:12 PDT 2006

Typical false dichotomy. You cultural fundamentalists people write as if we had no bodies and that the fact that we (or our ancestors) were hunter-gatherers for million of years, and (as Miles pointed out) had an evolutionary history going back for hundreds of millions of years before that was a priori irrelevant.

The reason you say is is the reason that was given me by a well-known feminist writer (or a feminist writer who should be well known), basically that it is politically unacceptable to suggest that there may be a biological component to our behavior. Presumably this is because for two centuries or more right wingers have used biology as an ideology to support domination, but it's a blatant fallacy. It comes out with the uninformed claim that there "no evidence" for biological contribution to our behavior, but this is just wrong. Explanatory power is evidence, and you can explain a lot of human behavior (especially sexual behavior) using evo theory. There is a a lot of bad evo theory used to justify status quo inequalities, but there is (as here) a lot of fundamental refusal to understand how evo theory could does play into the explanation of human behavior.

And moreover, as I have repeatedly pointed out, apart from ignorance and fear that the world may not be friendly to our projects, there is a further fallacy involved in this standard leftist/feminist blanket rejection of SB. That is the preposterous idea that biological means hard to change and social means easy to change.

The debate is tiresome, I find myself repeating the same points over and over. No more for me for now.