[lbo-talk] Re: language of contempt

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jun 6 08:40:11 PDT 2006

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> And, if they didn't get laid way more, they surely know that it wasn't
> prudery standing in the way, but discernment. heh.
>
> Jenny and Miles, a question. What about some anthropological research
> that suggests that some groups may not have even understood how
> reproduction works. That is, they assumed parthenogenesis. I remember
> reading a few books, years ago, in which it was argued that humans
> probably didn't know how reproduction worked -- requiring a male and
> female -- and assumed parthenogenesis.

That lack of knowledge would clearly open up many ways of interacting that seem inappropriate or strange to us (e.g., indifference to paternity claims). However, people's behavior could still be influenced by natural selection at an unconscious level (e.g., women may not think "Hmm, he looks healthy and fertile, I think I'll have sex with them to improve my reproductive fitness", but that behavior could still be driven by natural selection).

Miles