[lbo-talk] Chomsky on sociobiology

Per I. Mathisen per at fix.no
Tue Jun 6 12:09:11 PDT 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Jerry Monaco wrote:
> For instance most (possibly all) vertebrate species that take a
> relatively long-time from birth to maturation seem to show certain
> similar characteristics. One of those characteristics is cooperation
> in raising children. Many sociobiologists propose that there is a
> relationship between the length of maturation and cooperative
> parenting. If there is no cooperative parenting then of necessity the
> length of time from birth to maturity will be short. If the length of
> time between birth and maturity is long-enough to tax the energy or
> threaten the survival of mother and infant then there must be
> cooperative parenting. It is true of all other species.

Really? In all higher-level species, reproduction takes time and comes at significant cost and risk, but they do not all cooperate raising the young. Eg rats may cooperate, but cheetah and leopards do not. So I do not see the clear connection between the two. I would rather think there are many other variables in play.

- Per