[lbo-talk] Re: language of contempt

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Jun 6 16:07:26 PDT 2006

Guest <lbodownload at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> (I've already said how I
>> think men benefit, not evolutionarily but right now,
>> from the slut charge
>> against women.)
>
>Really now? Absent the stigma against female
>promiscuity, seems het guys would get laid way more.

Well, maybe, but people in ongoing relationships get laid more, as a recent survey showed. The stigma against sluts means women are more likely to try to stick it out in a relationship which they might otherwise leave. Bluntly, it means we'll put up with more shit from guys. The biased slut charge means he's freer to leave (or sleep around) than she is, assuming the slut charge affects her. And there are benefits besides ready sexual availability that make male supremacy hum along--a clean house, clean clothes, groceries, warm meals, you know, a whole human being consecrated to making the guy's life pleasant. Fortunately the slut charge is losing its grip, despite those pernicious (and apparently honored-in-the-breach) 'virginity pledges' which are being instituted to shore it up. The less power it has, the less women will be induced to think--well, I slept with him (sinned) so I guess now I have to marry him.

Jenny Brown