[lbo-talk] Chomsky on sociobiology

Jean-Christophe Helary fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp
Tue Jun 6 18:06:59 PDT 2006

That being monolingual makes it harder to see language as one's creature because abstracting one's language and the social products that come with it within the system inherited by one's language is not something that is required in daily life.

While people who are multilingual have at least two lingual/social references and that helps putting things into perspective on a daily basis. I am not saying that monolingual people are less able than multilingual people. Just that concerning language and its social representation it should be easier for multilingual people to identify language as "their" creature,

Jean-Christophe