[lbo-talk] Just-so stories (was re: Language of Contempt)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 01:55:18 PDT 2006

On 6/5/06, Luke Weiger <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote, "What's funny about 'just-so' stories of origins of this,
> that, and
> other things is that they are all elaborate attempts to avoid the
> obvious explanation. Q. What's the advantage of having multiple
> partners? A. It relieves tedium."
>
> No. In this case, they're attempts to explain why it is that monogomy tends
> to become tedious under certain conditions. I'm sure you familiar with the
> distinction between proximate and ultimate causes. It's helpful here.
>
> -- Luke

Few people have practiced monogamy except when they have been forced to do so, and even then they have flouted the law or custom, even at the potential cost of grave penalties. It's human nature to be a bit nutty and a bit slutty, to use David Brock's infamous phrase against the grain. Lust doesn't last. It's monogamy that needs explaining, if anything.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>