Don't mention the War! Re: [lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 08:41:21 PDT 2006

--- nathaniel.thomas at utoronto.ca wrote:

> Another red herring is Angelus Novus' constant
> comparison of Sudeten Germans and
> Silesians, among whom there were a large number of
> Nazis and Nazi supporters,
> with Palestinians.

Ever notice how the exculpation of the Silesians and Sudeten Germans from their territories due to large-spread nazi support is usually viewed as justifiable or desirable, while the exculpations of the Chechens, Ingush, Crimean Tatars and so forth by Stalin for exactly the same reason is usually viewed (in the West) as an evil crime? Hmmm.

In fact, every single Soviet minority national group in an area occupied by the Germans supported them, with the exceptions of the Ossetians and Jews. The Volga Germans* actually got deported BEFORE they had the chance to do any collaborating, though I suppose they probably would have if they had been given the chance.

* Interestingly enough, the deportation of the Volga Germans is the only Soviet deportation not typically refered to as an evil Stalinist crime, despite the fact that they hadn't actually done anything. Hmmm, why might that be? Something to do with their ethnicity perhaps?

Nu, zayats, pogodi!