[lbo-talk] Re: language of contempt

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Jun 7 12:09:45 PDT 2006

Kelley writes:
>Jenny and Miles, a question. What about some anthropological research that
>suggests that some groups may not have even understood how reproduction
>works. That is, they assumed parthenogenesis. I remember reading a few
>books, years ago, in which it was argued that humans probably didn't know
>how reproduction worked -- requiring a male and female -- and assumed
>parthenogenesis.

I'm not up on the latest either, and I'm sure Jerry or Charles would know more, but my memory is that understanding of _some_ male contribution is thought to be fairly widespread but not universal. In the case of paternity being partable, the thought was that sexual intercourse fed the growing fetus. Other groups thought that intercourse opened up the passageway for the infant to pass through.

Jenny Brown