[lbo-talk] CUPE Resolution with Respect to Israel

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 7 12:58:15 PDT 2006

The error on the spelling of Ethiopia was my mistake. I added the descriptor to her letter for clarity less someone think she is the child of the English colonial office. What do I know I am still convinced Blair has an E on the end. tfast

What follows below is a letter of concern that a member of our local (cupe 3903) wrote in

response to the cupe resolution. It should be mentioned that it was members of our local

which crafted and motivated the motion.

tfast.

--------------------------------

I have had reason to feel proud of many of the past CUPE motions with regards Israeli state policy. However,

while I support a strategic boycott of some Israeli institutions as well as

those who invest in Israel, I am concerned with the language of resolution

50 passed recently by CUPE Ontario. To be honest, I am conflicted and

confused by the choice of language used in the resolution and I believe that

this is a substantive issue that gives one reason to pause and ask what,

indeed, is the motivation, overt and otherwise, behind the resolution.

My problem with the motion is the way it equivocates Israeli state policy

with the policies stemming from both the British and Dutch colonial

interests in Southern Africa. In my mind, the Israeli state is many things,

but the South African apartheid state it is not. To call one the other is to

misunderstand the effects of European colonial policy in South Africa and it

is to obscure the ways Israeli state policy has come to affect Palestinians.

As Amira points out, it seems that such name calling may allow for a

political stink bomb but it hardly begs one to take a serious political

position towards Israeli policy or the history of the Israeli state.

To be sure, current Israeli and Middle Eastern self understanding are part of a

political process whose roots lie very much with British colonial policies

in the Middle-East, yet what is fascinating about the present equivocation

CUPE Ontario makes between Apartheid and Israeli policy is that it uses

language that inadvertently refuses to look at the real, historical and

political processes that have produced the current Israeli and Palestinian

situation.

My own family is, broadly speaking, from the Middle Eastern region, my

Ethopian mother growing up in Jerusalem and my Ethopian father growing up in Cairo. Both were

also caught up in the process of state formation that the region underwent

in the period following the Second World War. Yet, for me, and for anyone

who seriously studies the legacy of the end of the British and French

empire, an area of investigation that remains important is the manner in

which the demise of said empires forced people to articulate and reproduce,

in the guise of nationalism and self-determination, highly racialized and

ethnicized notions of citizenship and belonging--identities that would

inevitably force formerly colonized and dominated peoples to be at

loggerheads with each other. What becomes important here is, how, in carving

out modern nation-states, the British and the French empires were able to

craft political identities that would have a lasting effect for the

generation immediately following the dissolution of these empire.

In my mind we are living the consequences of this in Darfur as much as we

are in Israel, and, I find it equally unhelpful to equivocate Israeli policy

with Southern African colonial policy as I find calling the Darfur situation

a catastrophe of Arab racism. This is not to deny the atrocities facing the

Fur people. My problem is that, in both cases, people find it easier to call

something racist, rather than find out how societies are constituted. This

of course is not to deny that the foundations of some socities are

race--South Africa under colonial rule is one such example. However, it

seems important to emphasize that what lies at the heart of the new states

of the Middle East is a nationalism based on an identity that in many cases

was carved out by the "Native authority" in the colonies, as well as the

denial that these new states were constituted in very deliberate ways that

left certain groups purposefully disenfranchised. But, this is why internal

critiques of the constitution of the complicated topographies of these

societies cannot be emphasized enough.

Clearly, today, nationalists in the region have convinced nearly a whole

generation of young people that their identity formation has neither a

history, nor a political-economy, but rather, is something carved in an

ancient stone--a previous generation, at least had a living memory of

something else. Indeed, the cosmopolitan world that my parents once lived

in, only sixty years ago is probably unimaginable for most people in the

region today. But then, this proves that the current mystification around

identity formation is actually part of the political process in areas

formerly dominated by colonial powers. Thus, in my mind a serious political

discussion around current Israeli policy would entail a constant effort to

excavate this story. I also believe that evading history through political

equivocation is very much part of the problem when it comes to excavating

this story.

I guess, ultimately, that is why I find the CUPE resolution not

only unhelpful, but also divisive--it repeats and takes for granted

political identities that need to be exploded. Perhaps this is to much

history for a union to take on, but I must say that some key intellectuals

in the Darfur debate have managed to shift the language surrounding that

crises to a less racialized one and thus corrected the kinds of

interventions people were once proposing. Perhaps this can be true of Israel

as well, even if the regime there likes to pretend they are in Europe and

not right next to the Sinai. Lastly, given that in my mind the CUPE Ontario

resolution uses language that reduces history to good guys and bad guys, how

can I not feel that this inevitably feeds into historical prejudice, whether

or not people intended it to do so? This, too, is unhelpful.

Sincerely

Elleni Centime Zeleke