[lbo-talk] One way of settling a dispute (I am not making this up)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 10:30:28 PDT 2006

here's another way.

>"Giving money to a judge's campaign means you're
>less likely to get screwed
. A $1,000
>contribution isn't going to buy special
>treatment. It's just a hedge against bad things happening."

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-na-vegas8jun08,1,1998678.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-na-vegas8jun08,1,1998678.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

From the Los Angeles Times

JUICE VS. JUSTICE | A TIMES INVESTIGATION

In Las Vegas, They're Playing With a Stacked Judicial Deck

Some judges routinely rule in cases involving friends, former clients and business associates -- and in favor of lawyers who fill their campaign coffers. By Michael J. Goodman and William C. Rempel Times Staff Writers

June 8, 2006

LAS VEGAS ­ When Judge Gene T. Porter last ran for reelection, a group of Las Vegas lawyers sponsored a fundraiser for him at Big Bear in California. Even by Las Vegas standards, it was brazen. Some of the sponsors had cases before him. One case was set for a crucial hearing in four days.

"A Lavish Buffet Dinner will be catered By Big Bear's Premier Restaurant," invitations to Porter's fundraiser said. "There will be Food, Fun, Libations

a 7:30 p.m. Sunset Cruise on the Big Bear Queen

a Zoo Tour for the Little Ones." Porter, 49, a Nevada state judge, attended. The evening blossomed into a festival of champagne, lobster and money. Organizers said guests contributed nearly $30,000, dropping much of it into a crystal punch bowl.

Some lawyers considered it protection against ill fortune. Robert D. Vannah, a sponsor of the fundraiser whose firm had the hearing scheduled in Porter's courtroom in four days, would later explain his donation this way: "Giving money to a judge's campaign means you're less likely to get screwed . A $1,000 contribution isn't going to buy special treatment. It's just a hedge against bad things happening."

[ .....]