[lbo-talk] Chomsky on sociobiology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 8 11:15:56 PDT 2006

Charles Brown wrote:

> The critical difference that separated the first humans from their immediate
> ape precursors was not extra smart individuals with big brains (homo
> sapiens). It was super-sociality, including social connections to dead
> ancestors through language and culture ( homo communis). It was precisely
> the new brain's ability to communicate, not to do individual contemplation,
> that rendered such a big advantage over other primates.

Let me try once more. Humans (biologically modern humans) had ALREADY emerged from their non-human ancestors BEFORE any of them began to talk.

Full human devlopment first (including cultural development WITHOUT LANGUAGE going back a couple million years before homo sapiens).

THEN: After modern humans (just like us) ALREADY exist, then language appears at some point.

Charles's argument is the equivalent of claiming that Newton discovered gravity after studying Einstein's theory of relativity.

Carrol