[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Jun 9 05:50:15 PDT 2006

Well, for one, an exploration of how we can meaningfully make history rather than just be made by it. To put it another way, is the consciousness that we gain as historical beings only another form of conditioning? I want to say that it can be more than that. I want to argue that historical consciousness adds to our concept of pure essence.

I am not trained in philosophy, therefore am saying this badly.

Joanna

^^^^^ CB: That you , I and others _want_ to make meaningful history might be some indication that we are not entirely conditioned. I'm thinking you mean by "make history" , change in some ways from what we have from past history.

What do you mean by "pure essence" ?