[lbo-talk] Indian Beatles

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 10:37:17 PDT 2006

ravi wrote:

>Oh come on! Indian classical music/dance is boring! This is absolutely
>hilarious stuff! ;-)
>
> --ravi

Actually I think Indian classical music/dance is ravishing. I can appreciate the humor of the Indian beatles...except I assume they were not doing what they were doing to be humorous. But it touched a sore spot: I eat at a neighborhood Indian restaurant as often as I can and they have their TV permanently tuned to some bollywood-type station. And on that station I see something which, I don't know, seems a silly imitation of Western pop and dance, and it's heartbreaking when I think of how much richer the native traditions are. I come from a country that has always been a wannabe, at least in the urban centers, and its urban culture is pretty vapid too.

Joanna