[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Jun 12 08:57:26 PDT 2006

At around 12/6/06 10:54 am, Charles Brown wrote:
> Ravi:
>
> Is this what you get from the text I quoted? Here's one bit:
>
>> The world into which our Dasein is thrown and on which it enters has>
> others in it. ... Our understanding of the ontological status of others,>
> and of the relationship of such status to our own Dasein, is itself a> form
> of being. To understand the presentness of others is to exist.>
> Being-in-the-world, says Heidegger, is a being-with.
>
> We must be parsing this stuff very differently, I am afraid.
>
> ^^^^^^^
>
> CB: No, more from what Chris said here, emphasizing the "first-person point
> of view." Do you disagree that Heidegger emphasizes the first-person point
> of view ?

I don't want to speak for Chris, but here's how I read his stuff: Heidegger is talking about first person experience in the context of how it has been defined in Cartesian terms. IOW, in the context in which Chris is talking, Heidegger is addressing the impact of phenomena on an individual. This is not to be interpreted that Heidegger thinks the individual comes first or that he (human in gneral) is the measure of things (so to say, though IIRC Heidegger[ians] have a very different analysis of Heraklitos). In a way, IMHO, if you buy into it, he resolves the disparate frameworks of Cartesian idealism (I think therefore the world and phenomena exist) and realism/rationalism (things exist independent of me). I am out on a philosophical amateur's limb here, but I hope I am guilty of no more error than misuse of labels.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/