[lbo-talk] Grappling with Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 14:02:52 PDT 2006

I'll get to Jerry's issues tomorrow -- I edited 200+ pages today, it's 1 am, and I'm exhausted. Brain not working well right now. Happy Day of Russia, by the way! ;)

Right. The individual does not come first. The individual (in Heidegger) finds itself in a world full of meanings that have been passively absorbed by it (to the extent that Dasein, which is essentially dynamic and directed outward to the world, can be passive). Many of these meanings have been passed on by "history." The individual does not produce meaning -- rather, it discloses it in the process of interaction with the world. What is true is that for Heidegger (and he's right, IMO) history is always appropriated by the individual in terms of the individual's understanding of the present and future. History is a value-laden enterprise, to use non-Heideggerian language. To put it in mundane political terms, the way a US conservative interprets US history is different from the way a US liberal or radical or neo-Nazi or whatever will interpret it, because they are looking for different things in the light of their own contemporary political projects.