[lbo-talk] violent crime up

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 15:15:01 PDT 2006

FWIW the great majority of homicides in European Russia are domestic violence, usually involving alcohol.* Probably elsewhere in Russia too, though if you get down to the North Caucasus you wander into a situation compounded with lots of ethnic violence -- well there's ethnic violence in ER too, but not at the same scale -- violent religious extremism, and truely staggering levels of unemployment. Ingushetia has a 90% official unemployment rate. And lots of criminal gangs running heroin in from Afghanistan mixing the situation up too. The Ingush chief of police and his familly were murdered there the other day, BTW (see below).

* I have never heard a gunshot in 6 years in Moscow, which is more than I can say for my 6 years in Washington DC. I did go to a restaurant a few years ago in Moscow oblast though that had had its front glass door shot out for some reason that very night. I've been mugged three times, but on each occasion it was very late, I was very drunk, and I was very stupidly taking the proverbial "short cut home through the park."

Moscow Times

Tuesday, June 13, 2006. Issue 3430. Page 3.

Ingush Police Chief and His Children Killed

By Nabi Abdullaev Staff Writer

ingushetia.ru

Musa Nalgiyev and his son were in a Niva SUV and about to leave for school.

Musa Nalgiyev, the commander of Ingushetia's OMON riot police, was gunned down Friday in the Ingush town of Karabulak together with his three young children, a brother and a guard.

At about the same time, other gunmen fired on Galina Gubina, deputy head of the administration of Ingushetia's Sunzhensky district, who died on her way to the hospital.

The twin attacks were the latest in a string of high-profile assaults on the republic's leadership.

Ingushetia observed two days of mourning on Saturday and Sunday.

Police have mounted a large-scale effort to ferret out the assailants. The Prosecutor General's Office and the chief prosecutor in the republic have joined forces to investigate the attacks. No suspects had been detained as of Monday.

According to eyewitnesses, Nalgiyev's attackers blocked the police commander's Niva sport utility vehicle with their VAZ sedan as the commander was taking his children to kindergarten.

The gunmen fired on the SUV with automatic weapons, killing all six people inside instantly. The children's ages ranged from 2 to 6.

Several minutes later, as Gubina was getting into her Volga sedan, she was shot several times. Gubina, who headed a commission tasked with resettling ethnic Russians in Ingushetia, was about to go to her office in the village of Ordzhonikidzevskaya. The gunmen fled in a VAZ hatchback.

On Sunday, an abandoned hideout and a car used in one of Friday's attacks were found near the village of Yandare, Interfax reported.

But the rebel web site Kavkazcenter.com said there had been a gunfight and that rebels had killed at least four special forces officers as they stormed the hideout. It said no rebels were injured.

Ingushetiya.ru, an independent Ingush web site, reported that intense gunfire had been heard near Yandare.

The republic's chief prosecutor, Makhmud-Ali Kalimatov, and the republic's interior minister, Beslan Khamkhoyev, told Interfax on Friday that Nalgiyev and Gubina had died because of the work they were doing.

"Nalgiyev was an active guardian of law and order in the republic, and many were upset by his stance toward lawbreakers," Khamkhoyev said.

Nalgiyev is survived by his wife and a teenage son.

Khamkhoyev noted that Gubina, with her involvement in returning Russians to Ingushetia, earlier escaped an attempt on her life.

Two years ago, a bomb went off under Gubina's car, severely wounding her, Kommersant reported Saturday.

Makhmud Sakalov, the speaker of the Ingush parliament, said all attacks on local officials aimed to destabilize the republic, Interfax reported.

Issa Kostoyev, one of Ingushetia's Federation Council senators, called for strengthening the republic's law enforcement agencies.

Kostoyev said that rebels in neighboring Chechnya were being effectively forced into Ingushetia by federal forces and police.

In the past several months, attacks on senior leaders in Ingushetia have escalated. Rebels in Ingushetia have killed the republic's Deputy Interior Minister Dzhabrail Kostoyev; kidnapped Magomed Chakhiyev, a lawmaker and the father-in-law of President Murat Zyazikov; and attempted to kill Health Minister Magomed Aliskhanov.

http://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2006/06/13/011.html

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Trapping people in a slum environment without hope,
> but with lots of drugs and guns does seem to be a
> recipe for violent crime, not just here. See e.g.,
> the
> Rio slums of City of God, or much of modern Russia.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!