[lbo-talk] Re: indian beatles

J cogprole2 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 13 19:50:55 PDT 2006

On Jun 10, 2006, at 10:18 AM, micheal pollack wrote:

> Last point. IMHO, we should always be suspicious of every judgment we
> have
> about genres in which we like nothing. Because if in a given tradition
> there isn't a single piece you love it's pretty much proof that you
> don't
> understand it.

nooooo.... you are mistaken. i hate all romantic comedies... merchant ivory films, coming of age stories, hollywood films about WWII etc .. nothing to do with not understanding it. i usually hate films that A. are very easy to understand B. have a monolith interpretation (i call this monologic.. where the meaning is set. the spectator doesn't have any room to manuever) C. films that are emotionally manipulative (like Titanic, i saw this with my mom and it made me feel really gross...a certain gesture produces a certain response. it's very mechanical. weird emotional reactions were sucked out of me for money...yuck)

~J