[lbo-talk] Pakistan tells IAEA about N-plant talks with China

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Jun 14 06:47:12 PDT 2006

Daily Times http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pakistan tells IAEA about N-plant talks with China http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\06\14\story_14-6-2006_pg7_15

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has formally informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) about its talks with China to get a nuclear power plant.

"We have informed the IAEA and the NSG about our intention to acquire a nuclear power plant of 600 megawatts (from China), which is commercially more viable than two power plants of 300 MW each," an official said.

Earlier, there were reports that Pakistan has sought two nuclear power plants of 300 MW each from China and they would cost $1.2 billion, but the official said that Pakistan already had two such plants, adding that the country needed a 600 MW plant to meet its growing energy needs. He said that the nuclear power plant would be installed in Karachi where the country's first nuclear power plant of 138 MW was installed in 1972 with Canadian assistance. sana

Daily Times - All Rights Reserved