[lbo-talk] rewriting history

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 16 12:15:30 PDT 2006

<http://poll.gallup.com/content/default.aspx?ci=23362>

June 16, 2006 Americans' Retrospective Judgments of Clinton Improving Ten-point increase in Clinton's retrospective approval rating

by Jeffrey M. Jones GALLUP NEWS SERVICE PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll finds a significant increase in Americans' judgments of Bill Clinton's performance as president, as well as significant declines in reviews of the elder George Bush. Most other recent presidents' ratings have not changed in the last four years. John F. Kennedy remains the most positively rated of the former presidents tested, while Richard Nixon gets the lowest marks.

The June 1-4 Gallup Poll asked Americans for retrospective approval ratings on all U.S. presidents since Kennedy, using the following question wording:

From what you have heard, read, or remember about some of our past presidents, please tell me if you approve or disapprove of the way each of the following handled their job as president?

The results are as follows:

[...]