[lbo-talk] Blogosphere [was Re: Karl Rove Beats The Rap]

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Jun 17 13:13:17 PDT 2006

> What would bloggers know if they hadn't read it in a newspaper (or, no
> doubt, a paper's website)? What news do bloggers actually gather? Do they
> travel, interview people, read anything longer than another blog entry?

> Doug

I see blogging, when it's good and interesting, as something we at the old FAIR used to preach about news consumers becoming critics and analysts. And it's that angle that has the MSM so spooked and defensive. Finally, their critics can have an instant, global audience, and their bullshit, lies and propaganda can be taken apart, usually in the same news day. Admittedly, the majority of bloggers do nothing of the kind and essentially jerk off in their respective spaces, but that's just the way it is. There are those of us who try to go a bit deeper than just reacting to headlines and offering party spin. (And yes, I have travelled and reported on things I don't find in the papers, mostly person-to-person stuff, but I know what Doug's getting at and in general agree.)

Dennis