[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way? (bis)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 19 20:09:29 PDT 2006

On Jun 19, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Michael J. Smith wrote:

> I forgot to mention: my successful CIA guy is -- what else? --
> a Democrat, and self-identified as a "liberal" and a "progressive".

That's not unusual, is it? A lot of CIA types are liberal internationalists who believe in the basic goodness of the empire, even if you've got to get your hands dirty now & then. That was certainly the culture of the early CIA, coming out of the "Oh So Social" OSS. As Robin Winks put it in his book on Yale & the CIA, the Agency started to run into problems when it started recruiting at state universities and came up with guys who didn't know their way around Florence without a map. But there are still some of those types there; a lot of the analysts weren't happy with invading Iraq, right?

Doug