[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way? (bis)

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Jun 20 06:04:53 PDT 2006

On Monday 19 June 2006 23:09, Doug Henwood wrote:

> That's not unusual, is it? A lot of CIA types are liberal
> internationalists who believe in the basic goodness of the empire,
> even if you've got to get your hands dirty now & then. That was
> certainly the culture of the early CIA, coming out of the "Oh So
> Social" OSS. As Robin Winks put it in his book on Yale & the CIA, the
> Agency started to run into problems when it started recruiting at
> state universities and came up with guys who didn't know their way
> around Florence without a map. But there are still some of those
> types there; a lot of the analysts weren't happy with invading Iraq,
> right?

My sense, FWIW (and it ain't much) is that the social types are pretty much long gone. Maybe a few left in upper management, looking at retirement in a few years. The cadre these days, as with the corporate world, are mostly suburban bright sparks who did creditably on their SATs and turned in their homework on time. But even from this modest intellectual and cultural eminence they despise the crudity of Bush et al.

-- --Michael J. Smith (who never turned in homework on time) --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org