Spooks (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?)

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 07:52:08 PDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhat anomalously for a corporate lawyer, you are touchingly
> naive. This
> isn't a lodestone for idealists -- such as the Peace Corps -- that we're
> talking about. This is the CIA, a magnet for sly, secretive sorts who
> enjoy
> playing evil games. Wake up and smell the intrigue, counsellor.
>
> Carl

Carl, It is completely irrelevant whether they are idealists or not. I think it is worse for the world and for us if they are idealists. Unfortunately, I think that the CIA would actually be easier to get rid of if they fit your view. You have provided no proof or data for your view. It is simply an assumption. But who whether these people are nice to their family or "compartmentalize" or are psychopaths when they are in the field? The organization is set up to secure and promote U.S. imperialism. Individual psychology will conform to the function the organization serves. Most people in the CIA can sit at Foggy Bottom and never have to connect the dots in all the suffering they cause. Like most of the ruling class they rationalize and think of themselves as good people doing a job.

A banker at Citibank does not have to know he is responsible for suffering and death and usually he won't even see that a decision he makes here may cause death and suffering in Guatemala. Maybe as a exercise in individual salvation somebody can enlighten him, or maybe when the time comes he can educate himself and betray his class. The same with CIA employees. Change the function of the institution and/or abolish the organization. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060620/3615fdc8/attachment.htm>